Just get your boots on and you’ll be fine.
The Bastards of Fate
w/ Deral Fenderson and Turbo P
All Ages; $5
You want to talk about there being nothing to do in Roanoke?! Well, how about we prove you wrong with the 2010 Roanoke Marginal Arts Festival!
Here’s a list of activities….
- Workshop with the Mosier Brothers at 3pm (Downtown Music Lab)
- Marginal Arts Kick-Off Event at 4:59pm (Eleanor D. Wilson Museum, Hollins University)
- “When Janey Comes Marching Home” 5pm (Eleanor D. Wilson Museum, Hollins University)
- Stanley Lewis: 2010 Frances Nieder Artist-in-Residence, 6pm (Eleanor D. Wilson Museum, Hollins University)
- Open Doors Conversation, 7pm (Claude Moore Auditorium)
- Eugene Chadbourne, 8pm (Kirk Avenue Music Hall)
- Box Lunch Forum: South of the Clouds, Exploring the 25 Minority Ethnic Groups of Southwest China’s Yunnan Province, 12pm (Taubman Museum)
- We Are Tiger Dragon People: Pop-Up Book Exhibit & Launch Party, 5pm (Taubman Museum)
- An Immersive Environment, 5pm (Community High School)
- Cows In A Field, 5pm (Warehouse Row)
- Fleda A. Ring: Compilation 2010, 5pm (Fine Arts Studio & Gallery)
- Sew Me Up, 6pm (Dialog Gallery, 208 4th St.)
- Christine Carr: Portal, 7pm (O. Winston Link Museum)
- Nosferatu scored live by the Magic Twig Community with reading by Jack Pendarvis, 7:30pm (the Old Church on Church, on the corner of 5th Ave & Church Ave)
- The Mosier Brothers with Blue Mule, 8pm (Kirk Avenue Music Hall)
- The Marginal Arts Arena Spectacular & Circus Exposition, 9pm (at the Water Heater, 5th Ave)
- Sidewalk Chalk, 8:45am (Market Square, Downtown)
- A Postmodern Happening, an all day event (Community High School)
- The Second Annual Marginal Arts Festival Parade, 10:30am (Campbell & 1st St.)
- Emerging Artists Series: Patsy Bessolo & Oinker, 1pm (Downtown Library)
- Living Sculpture, 7pm (the Water Heater)
- Miss Lucy, Folk Opera (concert teaser), 8pm (Dumas)
- Night Cafe, 8:30pm (the Water Heater)
- A Swarm Of Arts, 12pm (Community High School)
- The Year Of The Tiger Celebration, 2pm (Taubman Museum)
- Pop-Up Postcard Workshop with Artist Colette Fu, 2:15pm (Taubman Museum)
- Corporeal Projections: Multi-Media Installation, 5pm (the Water Heater)
- Michael Martone & Moira Crone, 8pm (Wyndham Roberston Library, Hollins University)
- Master Class, 12am (O. Winston Link Museum)
- Absurdist Tips, 10am (Community High School)
- Right to Shoes Workshop, 2pm (the Water Heater)
- Right to Shoes Workshop, 3pm (the Water Heater)
- Participate! Potluck & Art Swap!, 5pm (the Water Heater)
- Fat Tuesday Celebration, 7pm (Fitzpatrick Hall, Jefferson Center)
You can obtain more information on the festival’s website HERE!
First, just want to say that the Bastards of Fate show last Thrusday was FANTASTIC. We’re going to put some pictures (perhaps a clip) up very soon, just to make you feel bad that you slept on it.
In the meantime…
–Eternal Summers are playing tonight at the Bazaar at 9:30 (note the time change!) with Drunk Tigers. $5 at the door.
– On Sunday, January 24th (tomorrow), The Bastards of Fate will be at Happy’s Flea Market w/Heevahava, Poe Mac, and Nancy & 2 Meteors. Show starts at 8, $5 at the door.
-Finally, as I posted on my upcoming music of 2010 post, Beach House have a new record coming out next Tuesday. What does that have to do with local music? Absolutely nothing. But it’s still fantastic news. Video!
Happy Weekend, guys.
We here at Scenic Recovery are pleased to announce the release of the highly anticipated 7″ split from The Sad Cobras & Hot Lava! The split was self-released by both groups and each side is comprised of 3 songs per band. The Sad Cobras on side A and Hot Lava on side B. The split also comes with a Hot Lava guitar pick and free digital download of all 6 songs for all you iPod/mp3 users out there! You can get this split either straight from the bands themselves or at Bazaar Consignments. This is a well crafted release from two great Magic Twig Community bands. These catchy tunes are worth copping!
In other Magic Twig Community news, the collective was interviewed recently by Impose Magazine for their “Labeled” feature. You can read the interview on their site HERE!
While you’re there download the FREE digital sampler from the Magic Twig Community. Including songs from The Young Sinclairs, The Sad Cobras, SUNKING!, Eternal Summers, The Missionaries and Rootstone Jug Band!
Posted in Music
Tagged Eternal Summers, Hot Lava, Impose Magazine, Roanoke, Rootstone Jug Band, SUNKING!, The Bazaar, The Magic Twig Community, The Missionaries, The Sad Cobras, The Young Sinclairs
Because we love them oh-so much. ^_^
The Bastards of Fate w/Hermit Thrushes (Philadelphia)
All Ages; $5
Just in case you missed them last time, they’re back again…with friends!
Eternal Summers w/Drunk Tigers (Charlottesville)
All Ages; $5
One Night Pop-Folk Fest
All Ages, $5
– The New Socks (Folky twee-pop)
– The Awesomelies (Catchy nonsense dance-pop)
– Black Mold Lightning (Really endearing folk pop)
These New York based folks are all on tour together and put on a very fun live show full of cheer! DON’T MISS THIS!!!!
P.S. – The Missionaries were supposed to play this show but could not make it due to the holidays and lack of practice stemming from bad weather conditions.
(The Water Heater is located at 813 5th St. SW in Roanoke. For more information, you can find their blog here. -L.H)